A couple of weeks ago I checked out the 2018 Data Governance Interest Group Hawaii Summit. It was great to see that there are like minded individuals from various organizations.
Here’s a list of what I took away from the summit:
- Data Strategy has to be in line with Business Strategy
- Understand where an organization is in the Data Governance Maturity Model
- Data Stewards are very important
- Data regulations from the federal government is in the horizon (similar to the European GDPR)
First Hawaiian Bank also shared steps they took to help others embrace the concept of Data Governance:
- Educate management through engagement
- Focus on the message “We’re here to help you”
- Not long after the first two steps, IT began to receive inquiries for help
I’m looking forward to continue learning with this group of folks. The future of information and data is exciting and I’m here to help.
Did you attend the Summit? What were your takeaways? Let’s talk story, holler @ me.